Subject: Re: Serial lines & terminals & getty. PLEASE help me out!
To: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1998 12:51:46
> I can talk to and from the terminal through /dev/ttyS1 when using
> kermit, so [...]

Okay, that cuts out a whole lot of possible problems.

> But icant get a login banner on the ports (i do see gettys running on
> them, but nothing comes out of the ports)

It is almost certainly waiting for carrier.

> if i turn off the gattys in /etc/ttys i can still not "cat" stuff at
> them, the cat process just waits, probably for some handshake or
> whatever.

Try using ktrace to see where it's hanging, as in

ktrace -i sh -c 'echo foo > /dev/ttyS1'

and then wait long enough for it to have definitely hung, ^C it, and
then look at the output from kdump.  This should indicate definitely
whether it's hanging in open(), in which case the problem most likely
is carrier, or somewhere else, in which case further investigation will
probably be needed.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca