Subject: Re: Serial lines & terminals & getty. PLEASE help me out!
To: shsrms <shsrms@erols.com>
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1998 04:37:54
On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, shsrms wrote:

> Ronny Svedman wrote:
> >
> > Sigh.
> >
> >Ronny,
> are you using a null modem?  this was the prob with mine!  I could not
> get the banner without the right signals to say I was a real data
> connection - like a modem.
> bob

I simply can not believe, neither accept that the drivers in NetBSD would
be so braindamaged as to require hardware hacking. there _MUST_ be a way
to ignore carrier & dtr signals. there MUST be!! it is obviously not
hardware braindamage (no hardware required signals) since Kermit can do
it, NetBSD (in particular getty) should be able to do it. If not, I'll
probably have to learn C so i can fix the getty&login stuff. (grunt. I
thought i could get away being a "user" of this OS. Fooled me!)

that said, let us move no to a temporary fix: what signals did you need to
jump? is +5v to dcd-in enough or do i have to hotwire dtr-in as well?

Thanks in advance, Ronny =)

* Ronny Svedman  	ronny@update.uu.se		*
* Sturegatan 12A :123   Lando_C, in IRCnet #australia	*
* 75314 UPPSALA         http://www.update.uu.se/~ronny	*
* Sweden    		+46-018/550404			*