Subject: Newbie seeks a little advice
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <Robert.Cross@scottish-newcastle.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/28/1998 14:50:46
--Boundary_(ID_LElmO5Bqw0YNotVYSVTpog)

Hi folk and folkesses,

I've just 'inherited' three delapidated VAXstations, namely a 3100/M38, a
3100/M76 and
a 4000/60. They're no use as VAXes any more, so I quite fancied putting some
Unix on
them. I'd personally prefer Solaris, but it doesn't run on VAXes - but BSD's
got just as
good a pedigree (imho of course). If anyone out there has the time, I've a
*few* questions:

1.  Which of these systems would be the best to use as a host? A more
experienced
VAX sysadmin has suggested canibalising all three to build one 'good' one,
which
sounds like a good plan, especially for the memory. Okay I know the final
system will
still be less powerful than an i486, but I don't have one of those.

2.  Is there any instructions available for installing net-bsd on the final
box? Ideally,
a 1-2-3-.... step-type guide, and an FAQ!

3.   X-windows? Nice but not essential, gcc is essential though.

4.  Is any other machine required for booting? I seem to remember something
about
having to net boot from another BSD box, in which case I've a problem.  I've
got access
to Solaris and AIX boxes, and can probably get a Linux (Red-Hat v5.1) system
fairly
readily. No BSD though :-(

Apologies for being so badly informed, but this will be a (many) lunchtime
project for me.
Many blessings on any respondant.

Bob Cross

Disclaimer: The computer system is the companies, but the opinions expressed
are mine.

--Boundary_(ID_LElmO5Bqw0YNotVYSVTpog)--