Subject: Serial lines & terminals & getty. PLEASE help me out!
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/28/1998 04:49:03
Sigh.

The manpage for gettytab & getty & /etc/ttys is IMPOSSIBLE.

plus teh gettytab file that comes in teh distribution says there is only a
small chance that any of teh entries are correct!.

I _really really NEED_ more than one terminal omn my microvax. Screen is
good but not good enough. not even by far good enough.

I can talk to and from the terminal through /dev/ttyS1 when using kermit,
so teh hardware is positively working, and also the lower layers in the
operating system knows the async mux is there.

(dhu0 is detected at power-up)

But icant get a login banner on the ports (i do see gettys running on
them, but nothing comes out of the ports)

if i turn off the gattys in /etc/ttys i can still not "cat" stuff at them,
the cat process just waits, probably for some handshake or whatever.

I am becoming desperate, especially sine i got this real nifty Tektronix
colour graphics terminal tha i want to use. (it's in the termcap file so
it shoulldnt be a problem once teh lower level communication is working).

plus io have Two vt320:s that i want to be able to use without
reconnecting stuff.
(i'm going to have one in the kitchen and one as console, and the
tektronix at my desk.)

please- does anyone have a working gettytab file for vt320 or tektronix
4010/4014/4110/4115/4105  ? (there are a few different tektronix'es lying
around here...)

I'm running 1.3.2 on a MicroVAX II.

I am fed up with reding those manpages over and pver and over ad absurdum.

/ronny, VERY frustrated by now..

(i've been trying to get these things working for a month now, and now i
am resorting to brut force methods (trial and error of the third degree).

Please please please help me out, someone!

* Ronny Svedman  	ronny@update.uu.se		*
* Sturegatan 12A :123   Lando_C, in IRCnet #australia	*
* 75314 UPPSALA         http://www.update.uu.se/~ronny	*
* Sweden    		+46-018/550404			*