Subject: TK50 - how much can i get onto one tape?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Ronny Svedman <rosv4119@student.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/26/1998 12:50:20
I am going to backup my entire filesystem on TK-50:s using dump.
Dump says that tk-50 cant report end of media correctly so i need to give
it a tape capacity in kilobytes per volume.

Dump defults this to about 20megs pre tape, which is way under what i have
expected..

How big is a TK-50 cartridge in megabytes? I dont particularly like the
idea that it would be under 50megs..

The reason (if i need one) to make a total backup of _everything_ is tha i
am going to try to install -current instead, and want it to be reversible
(i have the miniroot/boot tape already.. :)

What do i need besides the miniroot/boot tape and diagnostic tape
/formatter, and a total dump backup? the distribution sets?

i was thinking that i would not have to repartition my drives, simply
newfs them and write a -current binary snapshot in the existing structure

(i.e delete evrything except directories that lead to mountpoints, and
then use a miniroot in teh swap partition to ftp the new sets..  is this
possible or do i have to compile/build the -current from source?

(which indeed would be a pain on a MicrovaxII)

i am sorry for this long rant, and even more so since it probably contains
FAq and RTFM questions, but i would appreciate any
suggestions/recommendations on the matter. specifically if i should use
something else than dump for this backup.. is restore even included in the
miniroot?