Subject: Re: Netbooting MicroVAX II with DELQA
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/22/1998 17:46:33
On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Brian D Chase wrote:

> Hmmmm... sounds like it may just be that you don't have all your modules
> inserted in a manner which pleases the VAX :-)  What type of enclosure do
> you have for the MicroVAX II, and then which slots have you got what
> boards plugged into?

I've been through this an number of times, moving things around, and about
the only thing I haven't tried is getting ahold of the 9-track controller
and plugging it back in.  (Heck, maybe that'll work?)

It's in a BA123 case...  for the netbooting trials, things looked like
this:

KA630 (quad)
memory (quad)
DEQNA (dual) (empty)

and nothing else.  I even moved the DEQNA out of the first four slots with
grant cards:

KA630
memory
grant
grant
DEQNA

and it did the same thing...

For the other (recent) trials, the configuration looks like this:
KA-630
memory
DEQNA   |   (empty)
grant   |   (empty)
DHV11
TQK50   |   grant
RQDX2

I've been told that grant continuity in the BA123 goes straight through
the left side (the top in my case) of the bus through the first four
slots, and then starts zig-zagging, so grant continuity shouldn't be an
issue in the above configuration.

I've taken the thing apart and put it back together so many times now,
it's quite possible that I've hosed something really simple along the way.
One thing that really points to a screw-up on my end is that I can't boot
off the RD53 anymore, (or perhaps I just don't know what the number is.)

The breakout from the RQDX2 goes through a 50 pin ribbon cable to a
breakout panel, and I'm not quite sure how things should be hooked up
through it.  The breakout panel looks like this:

<-to RX50s->  : <- two-position jumper with jumper near label of "RX50"
<---------->  <------>
<---------->  <------>
some electronics here
<---------->  <------>
<-- RD53 -->  < RD53 >

I'm not sure if this is correct...  I've tried shuffling the RD53 cables
up and down, and the bottom is the only place where the ready light seems
to track disk grinding.

With some tinkering, I'm finally able to boot off of floppy, with dua1 and
dua2 being the floppies.  I assume dua0 is the HD?  I don't have any docs
on the RD23, so I can't check the jumpers and see what it's supposed to
be.

Being able to boot off the floppy (albeit to a Microvax I diagnostic which
bombs out) gives me hope...  and I notice that there are rx50 images
available for ftp.

The search goes on...  maybe I will get this machine working.  :)

time to hook up my 5.25 floppy and tinker with putr...

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
    "anything but analog, man.  two cans and string beats dealing with
     resetting stuck modems, no matter how many insane whack-ass expect
     scripts [written] to deal with 'em." -- Skeezics Boondoggle