Subject: Re: segv faults when updating motd
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@crue.jdwarren.com>
From: Joop Carels <zombie@il.fontys.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/19/1998 15:23:29
> it sounds like your hardware is getting flaky. If nothing else, how old

Well, the tests on the beast don't sound any alarms or anything, it's
basically a VAXstation 3100 with 24MB RAM (8 Megs pulled out for netbooting)
and a 200Mb scsi-disk.

It boots over network from my linux-server (dual p-pro, so it has some
capacity left over) and mounts its root over nfs.

It used to boot cleanly up to the login prompt, but now it crashes when
updating its motd.

> well, what system are you running on it right now?
>  who built the kernel?
I'm still using the standard kernel. I wanted to compile a new one (I might
require some pointers on how to configure one though), but I haven't been
able to get around to it yet.

> do you have a compiler?
I've got the basic NetBSD packages, so I also have the compiler.

> Do you have another VAX?
Yes, I also have a uVAX-II with 2x300MB ESDI disk, on an unsupported :(
controller (DK-616?)

> I do believe gcc can cross-compile to the VAX.
> with the right libraries, cross compiling the kernel is no problem.

What would be required to do so? I do not assume I can use the VAXen
binaries.

 ______
   /  /   | \/ |  | | __|		http://www.il.fontys.nl/~zombie
					mb470@hi.fontys.nl
Treasurer and BOFH of IGV InterLink; Supreme Commander of FCG.

There is no such thing as a wrong answer, although some might get you killed.