Subject: segv faults when updating motd
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Joop Carels <zombie@il.fontys.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/17/1998 00:26:54
Greetings.

I am the proud owner of a VS3100, which should've been running NetBSD
flawlessly by now.

I've got some problems with the beast though...

1)	These days it consequently crashes when booting and updating the
motd. That line appears on screen and I'm instantly in the debugger.

2)	It has always crashed, though not consequently at the same 'spot'.

The errors reported are segv's with trap f and rv 1 (?). Anybody with some
good advice on a) What these crashes are and b) what's causing them.

Secondly, as I'm not too familiar with the BSD way of things yet, could
somebody send me some info on how, what and where I need to do to make
myself a new kernel. Do I need to build a new 'world', as some of my
associates suggested me, or just the kernel?

How can I configure the kernel to my specific VAXen needs?
Has anybody ever tried to cross-compile a kernel on a non-VAX?

Thank you, as I am starting to lose heart. (reboot, CRASH, reboot, CRASH,
reboot, awwww s*(&*& it!)
 ______
   /  /   | \/ |  | | __|		http://www.il.fontys.nl/~zombie
					mb470@hi.fontys.nl
Treasurer and BOFH of IGV InterLink; Supreme Commander of FCG.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're thinking.