Subject: Re: Howto...
To: Darren Wright <dwright@dca.net>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/06/1998 22:46:24
On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Darren Wright wrote:

> Ok need some help here if you please....  I have 2 VAX's here, a MVII
> with an RX33, a TK50, but no ethernet...no OS.  VS3100 m38 SPX with a
> TZ86 running VMS 5.5 How can I get NETBSD on these machines?  I'd like
> to get an ethernet card for the II, but that's not real critical.  Can I
> write the TK50 images to a TZ86 tape?  It's a compactape III.  I also
> have some TK50's around too.  If not, is there another way to install on
> the VS3100?  I have some linux boxes and NT boxes here also, I've heard
> netbooting can be used for installs....

http://world.std.com/~bdc/projects/vaxen/VAX-netboot-HOWTO.html

It's a bit dated, but it should be useful for getting your VS3100
netbooted from a Linux system.  Netbooting can be used to install to the
various Q-bus systems with MSCP drive support, but it can't be used on the
VS3100's as there's no support for local drives yet.  You can run the
VS3100's in a purely netbooted config though.

-brian.
---