Subject: Re: NetBooting and KELSI
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Sergey Svishchev <svs@ropnet.ru>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/06/1998 12:27:43
On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 04:29:13PM -0400, James Robinson wrote:

> >Back to your question: A 8200 cannot netboot at all. It can in fact only
I can't speak for 8200, but a 8350 with 'Boot Command Parser - Version 200'
and 'Boot device type ET - Version 104' can boot via MOP (but it halts
with Reserved Addressing Mode Fault shortly after loading boot image).
I've tried boot.mopformat, NETTEST.SYS and ELLY.SYS.

> >boot from KDB50 or the console RX50's. To boot from any other device
> >a boot program must be located on the RX50 that takes care of it.
I've disassembled boot programs that reside in EEPROM, and it appears that
a 8350 can boot off:

- Boot device type CS - Version 101: Console RX50
- Boot device type DU - Version 201: DWBUA, KLESI-B, KDB50, KFBTA
- Boot device type MU - Version 102: DEBNK, DEBNT
- Boot device type ET - Version 104: DEBNK, DEBNA

You can check versions of these boot programs with EEPROM Utility, EBUCA.

> Last time I check the FAQ it said that the console RX50 was NOT supported
> yet. has this changed?
I'm currently debugging RX50 driver -- it does not get interrupts for some
reason.

> What type of docs are you looking for, I have the docs for the DEBNT. They
> are the $90 ones from DEC. They talk about the internals of the card and
> such....
I'd like to have a copy of these -- can you scan them?

--
Sergey Svishchev -- svs{at}ropnet{dot}ru