Subject: Processor power limit for lusers under NetBSD1.3.2 ??
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/06/1998 02:50:37
Hello =)

I have happily been using NetBSD 1.3.2 on a Microvax II for about two
months now, but still there is one thiong that annoys me.

when i load the machine really hard (about 5 or 6 according to systat),
running a lot of processor intensive processes as a normal luser,
sometimes processes terminate without explanation. This gets particularly
annoying  if you lose your "screen" session, beacuse that kills about
everything you are using.

I tend to put rather heavy load on the machine since i run a lot of things
in parallel, to save surveillance time (i dont like sitting around waiting
for compiles, file transfers, heavy bignum calculations, benchmarks et
al)

so i run a screen session on the console (vt320 - lovely gadget ;-) ) with
screens for three ssh shells to our club server, two ircII clients (ircnet
& efnet), one bash shell and a su bash shell, and a systat screen (just
'coz its kewl- as i would say if I was still an Atari ST Warezkid
*shudder*)

things usually work fine doing this, but every now and then processes
start to die, and sometimes the screen process goes first.

My question is: is tehre a limit as to how much one luser can load up
processor- , memory- , and processwise ?

how do i in that case remove this limit for a specific user?

(the machine is at 0% idle for hours at a time, especially whn compiling
stuffs while doing other things)

the OS itself is rock steady as far as i have seen, the only trouble is
that i have to login single user and do manual fsck's after powerfailures
(i have tender fuses - i cant vacuum and compute at the same time ), since
the kernel panics during boot otherwise - but this is a known problem tat
has been fixed, if i remember correctly.

Oh, and there IS enough swap space, according to systat. (about 20 % used
of the 20 megs available).

any hints ?

the machine has 9 meg ram, delqa, dhv11, one rd54 and two rd53 on a
controller (digital, not sure of the model number offhand - rqdx3
perhaps?) and a tk50 with controller. all in a BA123.

* Ronny Svedman  	ronny@update.uu.se		*
* Sturegatan 12A :123   Lando_C, in IRCnet #australia	*
* 75314 UPPSALA         http://www.update.uu.se/~ronny	*
* Sweden    		+46-018/550404			*