Subject: Re: 1.3.2 & MicroVAX 3100/10
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Dickens <rdickens@cix.compulink.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/02/1998 19:19:00
> > I don't think the machine is getting as far as trying to use the
> > terminal. Looking at the bootparamd messages, it doesn't get a
> > request for the swap file, only for root.
>
> The serial driver in 1.3.2 doesn't support the old MicroVAX 3100's.  So
> as
> soon as the NetBSD serial driver tries to take over control of the
> console, you lose all output to the console.  The machines tend to boot
> up
> fine, you just can't see that they do.  Since the rework of the serial
> driver back in late June/July(?), those MV3100's may be supported now in
> the newer kernels.
>
> So on the bootserver edit the diskless machine's etc/rc.conf file to
> reflect rc_configured=YES and the edit the etc/ttys to have the line:
>
> ttyp0   none                    network secure
>
> Basically, add the secure option to any of the tty names you want to be
> able to connect to with a root login.

Still no joy. As I said before, I'm not convinced that the machine is
still running after the initial 'root' directory request. The
netboot howto shows alot more requests being sent to the bootparam
server.

Also pressing the reset button on the back doesn't reset the machine. Is
this normal under NetBSD?

I'm also having a problem getting a newer kernel. Is the ludd ftp site
down?

Richard.