Subject: Re: I need specs ASAP :-(
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris <icq@dial.pipex.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/01/1998 10:20:55
CaptnZilog@aol.com wrote:

> For reference, I think the RM05/256Mb-CDC drives needed 220/240V at about 14A
> (start current, 10A run) to run them, and the RM02/03/80Mb-CDC (67Mb?) used
> 120V @ probably 10A+.   Exactly *WHY* anyone would want one these days is
> beyond me...

We used to call those machines "washing machines" (spin cycle), on
account of the movement under heavy seek - but as for why - well, just
the joy of hearing the things spin up up and go on cylinder - RA60 is
even better though - they shift enough air to ventilate a house. Don't
expect logic to prevail at this end of the spectrum.

Still have an RL02 that gets spun up when in nostalgic mood...

> I'd be looking for a SCSI controller, or at least a controller...

Look out for a Viking UD0, mscp emulated disk only, or UDT, mscp disk
and tmcsp tape, both unibus to scsi. Qbus equivalents are QD0 and QDT.
Excellent series of controllers...

Rgrds, Chris

--
There is no question of faith or belief in this. Quite the opposite,
this system teaches people to believe in absolutely nothing. You must