Subject: Re: 1.3.2 & MicroVAX 3100/10
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/30/1998 17:33:26
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > When I boot the Linux system seems the MOP request, the MV gets the boot
> > loaded, determines its IP address and downloads the kernel but as soon as
> > it starts the system seems to hang. No copyright message or anything
> > appears. The MV is so hung that even the reset button doesn't work and I
> > have to power it off.
> >
> > Where have I gone wrong?

> With 1.3.2, you must have serial console. In -current and with the
> Black-and-White framebuffer you can use the console.

I also don't believe that serial console ever worked properly on the
MV3100/10/10e/20/20e.  The machines boot okay, but you'll have to edit
your system files to allow in telnet/rlogin sessions as the root user.

An original message on this is buried somewhere in the past year of
port-vax archives.  I'll see if I can find the original.

> > P.S. Is anybody working on the 3100/40 port? I've got a couple of these
> > just waiting...

> They should "just work"...

That depends on whether he means MV3100/40's or VS3100/40's.  The
VAXstation 3100/40 is supported just like the VAXstation 3100/30 since
the 40 and 30 are identical except for the 40 having a larger case.

-brian.
---