Subject: Re: VT220 connector pinouts
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Robert D. Keys <bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/28/1998 14:22:59
> At 09:29 AM 9/28/98 , Rick Copeland wrote:
> >I need the pinouts for the DEC VT220 terminal.  If you know where I might
> >find them or kniow them could you please post them or send them to me
> >directly.
>
> The DB25 is a standard RS232 so any standard serial cable should work.
> (That's what I use).

Most of the time, yes, but sometimes, no, if hardware handshake was used.

Sometimes back in the olden days, when you did not know exactly what
was needed, and you wanted to insure a minimal connect under any condition,
we used 3-wire connects..... pins 2, 3, and 7, and jumpered 4+5, and 6+8+20
on each end.  That usually always works.   It assumes no handshaking, but
only each end handling it, as needed.  I am still using those on old
PS/2 boxes as terminals with Kermit.  Then the only thing you needed was
a pair of cables one for straight and one for null-modem connection.
Nowadays, one uses a straight 3 wire cable and a PC null-modem dongle,
if needed.

Anyone for ASR-33's?......(:+\\..... nah, hopefully, never again.....

RDK