Subject: Re: Update 3 - PPP fun and games
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/22/1998 18:18:55
On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> The first thing you should do (always) when trying to get serial ports
> working, is use a simple, bulletproof, *good* program. I'd recommend
> kermit. getty isn't good at all. You have no idea what it does, and how.
>
> kermit, however, tries to make the line as brual straight as it can. Skip
> modem control, handshakes, and such stuff. Just send and receive data.
> That's the kind of program you want to use to check that the physical
> hardware works. Once you've established that, *then* you can go on to the
> next level.

Yipeee!!!!!!

i got rid of the gettys by turning off the ttys in /dev/ttys

I got myself a kermit copy ( thanks for the binary & compiling cpu cycles
Johnny)

i chose line

>set line /dev/ttyS0

i asked kermit to essentially turn everything off

>set flow none
>set handsh none
>set carrier off

i selected speed

>set speed 9600

i connected

>connect

and voila!, i could print chars on the terminal =)

so now that the physical lines work, how do i make getty disregard the
dtr/dsr bit, and "assume" there is a terminal attached, and print a login
banner at boot-time ? and ofcourse listen to the ports?

* Ronny Svedman  	ronny@update.uu.se		*
* Sturegatan 12A :123   Lando_C, in IRCnet #australia	*
* 75314 UPPSALA         http://www.update.uu.se/~ronny	*
* Sweden    		+46-018/550404			*