Subject: Re: Update 3 - PPP fun and games
To: Sheila //or// Bob (depends on who's writing) <shsrms@erols.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/21/1998 19:03:21
The first thing you should do (always) when trying to get serial ports
working, is use a simple, bulletproof, *good* program. I'd recommend
kermit. getty isn't good at all. You have no idea what it does, and how.

kermit, however, tries to make the line as brual straight as it can. Skip
modem control, handshakes, and such stuff. Just send and receive data.
That's the kind of program you want to use to check that the physical
hardware works. Once you've established that, *then* you can go on to the
next level.

	Johnny