Subject: getting wired on rs232/dhv11
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/19/1998 20:43:24
I'm starting with a new subject to get my folders untangled..

Current status of my efoorts in the matter:

I took Jonas's advice of disabling all flowcontrol in the terminal
(vt420). The ports are dead.

Then i read someones remark about dsr/dtr, so i tried turning on "modem
control" in the terminal's setup. now thig become interesting:

The terminal locked up on me, it wouldnt even keyclick.. (but i could
enter setup..). then i discovered this little text in the lower right
corner:(BELOW the status line) "v=E4nta" (yes, its in swedish.. means
"wait"). Hmm the terminal thinks the computer refuses to receive chars.

ok. TH terminal however syas it can see a DSR signal (says "Moden: DSR" in
teh status line. this changes to "no DSR" when i halt the computer, and
turns back on as the computer boots up, just before the login banner
appears on the console (which is a vt320). Hmm again.

It sure does seem like the vax wants to use dsr/dtr detection, but
somewhere it fails. the cable is a DEC standard, verified to work with teh
same terminal and a decserver 200, so it really should be The Correct
Cable (tm).

how can i control the ports behaviour in ths respect (a flag to getty
perhaps? edit gettytab file? the ttys file? what else?)

I do feel lost.

* Ronny Svedman  =09ronny@update.uu.se=09=09*
* Sturegatan 12A :123   Lando_C, in IRCnet #australia=09*
* 75314 UPPSALA         http://www.update.uu.se/~ronny=09*
* Sweden    =09=09+46-018/550404=09=09=09*