Subject: RE: okey, its time to get some more terminals.
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/17/1998 10:28:20
On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Gunnar Helliesen wrote:
> Ronny Svedman wrote:
> >
> > Is it not possible to avoid building a kernel, by simply
> > setting the card
> > switches to whatever is teh kernels idea of where it's at ?

> Well, that depends on what other hardware you have installed. The point
> is to avoid conflicts on the bus.

Aha! *click*

BOTH vector and csr numbers must be unique over the bus !

now, thats a very important piece of information.

I havent been juggling the hordware in this computer around at all,
assuming that there should be no conflicts. But now i get this feeling..

Is the csr & vector of the different boards hardcoded in the kernel?

I assumed that there was some autodetection facility to figure out the
comfiguration (i.e the kernel scans for cards and reads the cards' switch
settings at boot-time). I fthis is not the case, no wonder it wont work
"out of the box" :)

You mentioned earlier that there is a utility to determine the numbers for
unix also. It would be very nice top point me at where i can find this
utility, since i have no means of booting this vax into vms...