Subject: Re: okey, its time to get some more terminals.
To: Jamie Lovick <jalovick@inettech.net.au>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@link.link-systems.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/15/1998 22:53:55
| > I am attempting to get PPPD running but I have not been able to get the
| > ttyS to dial using pppd settings, have not been able get the login
| > prompt from the connection. I am using 3104 AND the quad version (DHU?)
| > - now under 1.1a or 1.2 I was able to get a login prompt, dial out, and
| > get remote terminal session going.  Not yet under 1.3.2G.
|
| This may be totally unrealated, but I had a simular problem on my Linux
| box, trying to get PPP to work with ttyS*. I ended up having to use
| /dev/cua* (cua0 in my case).
|
| It might work for you ..

A very good point - possibly the major device number is wrong?  Looking
at a 1.3.2 release copy of MAKEDEV I see

        dhu*)   name=dhu; major=34; count=16;
                unit=${i#dhu}
                case $unit in
                0) ch=S ;; 1) ch=T ;; 2) ch=U ;; 3) ch=V ;;
                4) ch=W ;; 5) ch=X ;; 6) ch=Y ;; 7) ch=Z ;;
                *) echo bad unit for $name in: $i ;;
                esac;;

but don't recall at the moment what to peruse to see whether the major
matches the DHU index in the device table or whatever it may be these days.
I expect it does and the kernel has evolved some way that has wedged the
driver... sigh.

-- Ken