Subject: Re: okey, its time to get some more terminals.
To: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/15/1998 15:04:00
On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Ronny Svedman wrote:

> As for the PC connectivity: I want the netbsd in the pc to think that it's
> connected to the net, but i do not want it to show to the outside (i hav
> only one allocated ip number behind the firewall (student account with
> fixed connection (10baseT via a switched net and a 3Mbps radio link, and a
> firewall/ip converter). I was thinking of using "slirp" for this task,
> OR running a pppd on the vax, and letting the pc connect via ppp on the
> serial line. (as you can imagine, i dont have a netwrk card for the pc).
>
> Which method do you think is better? slirp on a getty:ed line, or ppp +
> pppd? i want the pc to look like my vax to teh outer world, yet be as
> transparently connected as possible. How do i set teh netbsd/pc up to
> consider a ppp or slirp link a valid network interface ? is it even
> possible ?

	I'd be inclined to run pppd between the two boxes, and then run
	ipnat on the vax to translate outgoing connections - that way
	you can telnet/ftp/http out from the PC as if it were locally
	attached.

	Also, if you haven't by now, grab a copy of screen - its a
	godsend if you're using terminals :)

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/misc/screen/README.html

		David/absolute

    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - Oscar Wilde