Subject: Stability of NetBSD/VAX
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Erno Palonheimo <esp@stip.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/14/1998 01:37:00
Hi,

What kind of uptimes should I expect? I haven't managed to get my uVAX II
stay up for longer than six days, netbsd tends to sometimes just
mysteriously hang and sometimes it drops me to kernel debugger. Is this
normal or do I have bad luck? I have only 5 mb of RAM but running out of
memory cannot be the problem as there usually is >70% of swapspace free.
Also, why does the machine sometimes just freeze totally, i.e. when
compiling kernel? It just hangs and I can 'wake it up' by telnetting into
it or doing some other kind of network activity. Hitting enter on any of
terminals does not work, the machine stays locked up for hours but any
network activity (not ping though, but anything that'll start some daemon)
will wake it up immediately. Ideas?

   Erno Palonheimo -x- esp@stip.net -x- GSM +358400615281

0. It doesn't matter to you if someone else's computer is faster because
   you know your system could smash theirs flat if it fell over on it.