Subject: VS2000 hardware questions
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin Schoedel <schoedel@kw.igs.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/12/1998 14:37:27
I have recently obtained a Vaxstation 2000, on which I would like to run
NetBSD.

When I first started the machine, it booted (Ultrix) from its ST506, but
since then, it has completely failed to access the disk. Question: can I
assume that only the old drive has died, and that I can still expect to
be able to run the machine diskless? The startup test reports

	??  7  0090  7720.7720

and "T 50" reports

	??  HDC  7720.7720
               00000000 00000000 00000000

and the "T 0" test reports

	7 0090  HDC  F000.0001  260  0

Assuming nothing worse than a dead drive, should I pull it, or leave it
in place? I have read something about the power supply wanting a load on
the drive supply.

Next question: for the ethernet, "T 50" and "T 0" report

	NI   0000.0001  V1.1
	1 C000  NI   0000.0001    5  0

when connected to a thin segment. Is there anything about this that
should make me give up now?

Finally, I understand that NetBSD 1.3.2 doesn't support the attached
monitor/keyboard, but uses the DE-9 serial port for its console. Can I
use a conventional serial cable, assuming I initiate booting from the
attached monitor/keyboard, or do I still need to build a "console" cable?
(Or does this port not use the common DE-9 pinout at all?)  I intend to
use as a console a serial port on a DECstation 5000/25 with 1.3.2 (the
same machine I'll use for disk service); any problems there?

TIA,
--
Kevin Schoedel
schoedel@kw.igs.net