Subject: Netbooting a VS3100/M30
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Jonas Oberg <jonas@coyote.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/05/1998 01:09:04
I'm trying to get a VS3100/M30 with 24MB RAM to netboot from my Linux
machine. I've gotten past the mopd problems now and am now having
problems booting. I'm using the NetBSD 1.3.2 kernel.

First problem is that rpc.bootparamd seems to send 127.0.0.1 as
default route to the client, which isn't good at all since my server
is at another subnet. I guess I just can't have them on two different
subnets?

Second problem, once I put them on the same subnet, comes when trying
to figure out how to load the root filesystem. It probes the SCSI, and
then goes;

boot device: le0
nfs_boot: trying RARP (and RPC/bootparam)
le0: device timed out
revarp failed, error = 51

And if I monitor this process with tcpdump, I see that after it has
loaded the kernel, it never sends anything on the network. So my
server never sees any RARP/bootparam requests and thus can't answer.

Solutions, anyone?

--
Jonas - http://poledra.coyote.org:8080/~jonas/