Subject: Re: Problems Booting Miniroot, 1.3.2!
To: None <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/28/1998 18:41:53
> root device (default ra0b):
> dump device (default ra0b):
> file system (default generic):
> root on ra0b dumps on ra0b
> no file system for ra0 (dev 0x901)
> cannot mount root, error =3D 79
> root device (default ra0b):
> Help, it's not working! Anybody else have this problem??

I had a similar problem on NetBSD/hp300 quite a while ago when
installing on a "blank" disk, and at that time I concluded that what
prevented this from working was that the disklabel didn't contain
"ffs" as the file system type for the partition in question.  I seem
to remember mentioning that earlier in this forum, but I also
thought that I heard that this should not be a problem anymore (?)
or that it never had been a problem on port-vax (?).  Now I'm not so
sure anymore...

The case on the hp300 platform was reported and fixed through the
problem report port-hp300/4071.  Note that the submitted fix wasn't
the whole story.  See

   http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=3D4071

for the full text of the problem report.

Not sure how much this helps you in your current situation, though,
sorry...

- H=E5vard