Subject: Re: Dhrystone on MVII running 1.3.2
To: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/27/1998 17:59:40
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Ronny Svedman wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Jim Bender wrote:
> > Then why were they so damn slow even when connected to a "fast" VAX on a
> > fast HSC or even a high end SDI controller?    So slow we were wishing we
> > had our Massbuss disks back.    :-(
>
> RA disks are big and heavy, which implies they seek rather slowly. but if
> you want to load a BIG file, thats not too fragmented they give very good
> performance.
>
> Atleast this is what we are experiencing here at update, running over 40
> RA-90's 91's and 92's, from three HSC-90s on CI bus on a VAX 6440...

Ahem. We have two HSC-90, and the bottleneck really is the requestors
here. Too many disks doing stuff in paralell. When the 6440 needs to fsck
the stuff after a crash, it takes close to an hour...
(But then again, Ultrix is pretty brain-damaged itself too...)
The HSC-90s are loaded, but the requestors get stuffed waiting for the
disks. Each have atleast three disks on 'em.

	Johnny