Subject: Re: Dhrystone on MVII running 1.3.2
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/26/1998 08:15:30
< 1400 dhry/s on my MicroVAX II running NetBSD/vax 1.3.  With -O2
< optimization I was getting around 2240 dhry/s.

That you could double the numbers makes a point.

Of course you can't overclock a MVII, but the later versions (NVAX5+)
are the VAX contemporary of the pentium and would close the gap.

< > The equivilent would be a 386dx/40 without cache for a more direct
< > comparison.
<
< Or 1/10th of a 386DX/40 with 128KB of cache :-)  Did they even sell
< 386DX/40's without cache?  Allison, you've been robbed of all your cache

No they didn't sell them without cache, I have one that the cache is
puked and it's about 1.6x the speed of the 386SX/25 I have.  then again
I have a 486sx/25 that has only internal cache and it's kinda slow too.

The microvaxII is 1986 design, that makes the intel fair comparison part
the early 386/16 as they are of nearly the same timeframe.

Allison