Subject: Re: Dhrystone on MVII running 1.3.2
To: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/25/1998 20:18:09
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Allison J Parent wrote:

> Putting the family car up against formula lola.
>
> < > > > 1200.1 Dhrystones/second
> < > > >
> < > > > Is this good or bad ?
>
> Terrible even for MVII!

I don't know about terrible.  For -O0 optimized code I was seeing around
1400 dhry/s on my MicroVAX II running NetBSD/vax 1.3.  With -O2
optimization I was getting around 2240 dhry/s.

> < > Pentium MMX @ 166 MHz: 262000 Dhrystones/s.
>
> If a vax could be clocked at 166mhz it would do so well, then ofcourse it
> would be a 7000 series instead of a MVII.

If it ever one attempted to run a MicroVAX II at 166MHz, you'd have a
nice fire on your hands.

> The equivilent would be a 386dx/40 without cache for a more direct
> comparison.

Or 1/10th of a 386DX/40 with 128KB of cache :-)  Did they even sell
386DX/40's without cache?  Allison, you've been robbed of all your cache!

The MicroVAX II is slow slow slow,
And that is why I love it so so so...

-brian.
---