Subject: Re: Dhrystone on MVII running 1.3.2
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/25/1998 14:39:03
Putting the family car up against formula lola.

< > > > 1200.1 Dhrystones/second
< > > >
< > > > Is this good or bad ?

Terrible even for MVII!

< > Pentium MMX @ 166 MHz: 262000 Dhrystones/s.

If a vax could be clocked at 166mhz it would do so well, then ofcourse it
would be a 7000 series instead of a MVII.

The equivilent would be a 386dx/40 without cache for a more direct
comparison.

The bigger difference is load each to 80% of capacity and run the test
the picture is then very differnet.

< Well I guess that answers that question.  There must be a better
< metrick for comparing performance.  I seen a vaxcluster doing things
< 5 years ago that even now is just becoming possible on todays stuff.

Vaxen tend to slow down more gracefully than intel.

< To Allison,  The bus that drives an RA-81, how fast can you push this?

I know they are fast but I don't know the details.  I think in excess of
14m bytes/sec, could be higher.  Also depends if they are CI connected or
Massbus and all that.

Allison