Subject: Re: NetBooting
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buck_c@polygon.com>
From: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@triplan.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/20/1998 17:30:03
>Well, I tried it last night with my KA650. I (believe I ) have got the =
netboot
>master set up correctly, although a ps doesn't show mopd. If I run mopd =
-fda,
>it exits immediately. If I run mopd -da, it says it's not running as a =
daemon,
>but drops me right back into csh. Then again, I'm not sure of the date =
on the

This is definitley NOT working as designed... With '-da' mopd should be =
pretty
verbose concerning the packets it receives and what actions are taken. =
Maybe you=20
could do a 'ktrace mopd -da' followd by a 'kdump' to see where it dies =
miserably.=20
Maybe you have not enough 'bpf' devices configured in the kernel. I had =
this problem=20
with FreeBSD running both 'mopd' and 'rbootd'

>binaries - I may throw 1.3.2 on top of them later tonight.
>
>Anyway - I b/100 xqa0, tell it MOPBOOT, (also tried setting up the
>etheradd.SYS) and it repeats ever minute or so "Retrying network =
bootstrap". Is

>this typical? [...]

No... This just tells you that the timeout while waiting for a MOP =
server to respond
has expired and it re-starts it's MOP-boot attempt.

>--
>J. Buck Caldwell

HTH,
Marc