Subject: Re: Badblock management.
To: J.S. Havard <enigma@intop.net>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/19/1998 21:57:31
On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, J.S. Havard wrote:

> > I had one RD54 in my VS2000. It developed some bad blocks and VMS refused
> > to startup and the disk made all sorts of weird noises. Then I just did a
> > format of the disk in the console, (T ??). And now it works just fine with
> > NetBSD.

> Now how do you do that on a uVax-II?

If you don't have the special MicroVAX II diagnostic tape, the very best
way is to find yourself a VAXstation 2000 and use it as a hard drive
formatter.  I assure you, the cost of accquiring a VS2000 will be less
than acquiring the diag tape :-)  Plus you can run NetBSD/vax on your disk
formatter when it's not in use.

-brian.
---