Subject: Re: Howto-tips wanted
To: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/19/1998 21:48:57
On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Ronny Svedman wrote:

> Next weekend i will have a try to get Netbsd running on my MicrovaxII, and
> my Vaxstation 3100 m76/SPX. I have had the MVII runnning 1.2 from disk
> before, so i reckon i can pull it up on a new version (What's the latest
> STABLE version on KA-630?) (I will use a TK-50 boottape 1.2G)

I've been using NetBSD/vax 1.3.2 as available on ftp.netbsd.org.  I was
able to use the provided boot tape images to get a MicroVAX 3600 and a
MicroVAX II installed.   I haven't checked to see if there's a more
current binary snapshot, but 1.3.2 is a good starting point.

> As for the Vaxstation, i havent yet tried it with Netbsd, I have been
> waiting for more support. Have i got the idea correctly that i can now run
> X on this machine, but diskless since SCSI support is not here yet?

Graphics console should be fine.  I think that some more work needs to be
done on X though to support the mouse and keyboard.  It may be working
now.

> As for netbooting: can I boot it off the MVII, and in that case, must i
> have a separate mirror of the files for the VS3100, or can they share
> parts of teh distribution ?  ( I am short of disk in teh MVII (1xrd54 plus
> 3xrd53)) Would you suggest i get some NFS-mounted disk on the MVII for the
> files for the VS3100? I am aware that this will be slow, with the MVII as
> fileserver for teh VS, but thats the way i have to do it...

Yup, you can netboot from the MicroVAX II.  I've done it just for fun and
it worked just fine.  If you're going to share filesystems between more
than one machine, you'll need to keep certain bits unique to each machine.
Basically things like /etc and /var must be unique for each system.  You
can very easily share /usr across systems though.   I boot multiple VAXen
off of a single 386DX/40.  I give each VAX a seperate root filesystem
directory which contains everything except for my /usr and /home (home
dirs).  This base root filesystem total something like 10-20megs I think,
and then I mount the same /usr and /home NFS filesytems across all of
them.

-brian.
---