Subject: Re: SCSI on QBUS - edlabel issue
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buck_c@polygon.com>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@link.link-systems.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/17/1998 14:50:58
So I screwed it up - darn - rushing too quickly - I'm off by the
usual factor of two - as there are 2 sectors per Kb (with 512b sec).
I've messed with the math again below.  Me-thinks you're making your
partitions far too large, if is 64Mb is your goal.  My bogus previous
message will make them 32Mb which is lots I think, but then maybe you
have something major you're putting on the box...

| How in the hell do I put a label on this thing? It doesn't have a set
| number of sectors/track. It's a HP C2244 - info for it can be found at
| http://www1.hp.com/isgsupport/disk/c224x/c224xtech.html . I'm desperate.
| If anyone can help, you've earned a friend for life.
|
| Notes: I'd like a 64K /, 64K swap,  64K /var, 64K /tmp, and the rest /usr.
| Also, if you can, a edlabel sequence for the entire drive as one a
| partition (for the other two drives, same type). Thanks!!

I come up with geometry as

	HP C2244
	5400rpm
	7 hds
	77 s/t
	1981 user cyl (2051 physical cyl)

They mention a drive capacity of 1,106,288 sec/drive
which I am guessing covers the hidden cylinders.  So
I took 1,106,288 / ( 7 * 2051) to compute sec/track
(and rounding down).

So presuming this is okay, what then is the size of
a cylinder stack?  7 * 77 = 539 sectors (or ~270Kb).

Since you likely want to stick with partitions aligned
on cylinder boundaries, I might take my desired partition
size (I'm guessing above you mean Mega-bytes not Kilo-bytes).

So 64Mb x 1024Kb/Mb x 2 s/Kb / 539 s/c is 65536Kb x 2 s/Kb
/ 539 s/c which is 243.176 cyl which we can round to 243 cyl
for your root.  You use the same for the others so why not
use the same value?

I haven't used "edlabel" for a long time, but I'll guess like
the real NetBSD disklabel you'll need the # of sectors for
the partition, so

	243 * 539 = 130977 sectors

So what is left for /usr?  4 x 243 = 972, so 1981 - 972 is
1009 I think, or 1009 * 539 = 543851 sectors.

You'd best check all the math!

Anyway, I guess you really want explicit edlabel instructions
so I'll stop blathering on.

-- Ken