Subject: Re: Badblock management.
To: Erno Palonheimo <esp@stip.net>
From: Jorgen Pehrson <jp@spektr.ludvika.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/17/1998 19:31:40
On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Erno Palonheimo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it really so that there is no bad-block management in NetBSD? I
> understood it to be so after reading the documentation. It would be quite
> important feature, for example I am able to use only one of my five hard
> disks as all the rest of them have just couple of bad blocks, but cannot
> be used because the bad blocks cannot be avoided, except as scratch disks.
> But, I'd like to have one RD54 for /usr, other for /usr/local, a RD53 for
> swap, root and /var and other for /usr/home. Is it possible to implement
> this feature in near future, if it isn't there already?
>
>    Erno Palonheimo -x- esp@stip.net -x- GSM +358400615281
>
> 0. It doesn't matter to you if someone else's computer is faster because
>    you know your system could smash theirs flat if it fell over on it.

I had one RD54 in my VS2000. It developed some bad blocks and VMS refused
to startup and the disk made all sorts of weird noises. Then I just did a
format of the disk in the console, (T ??). And now it works just fine with
NetBSD.

Jorgen Pehrson                  HP 9000/380 (NetBSD/hp300 1.3)
jp@spektr.ludvika.se            DECstation 5000/200 (NetBSD/pmax 1.3)
http://spektr.ludvika.se/museum PDP11/83 (2.11BSD) VAX2000 (NetBSD/vax)