Subject: Re: No way to install NetBSD on uVaxII
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Kees Stravers <pb0aia@iaehv.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/17/1998 01:09:31
On Sun, 16 Aug 1998 18:40:59 +0200 (CEST), enigma@intop.net/CC said:
 en>I have a MicroVAX-II, with 3 RD53s, and one RD54, yet no way to
 en>install NetBSD because I have no tape drive or floppy drive.  Also,
 en>DEQNA just don't netboot.  I am looking for somebody in the US that
 en>I can send my RD54 to so I can have NetBSD installed on it.  After
 en>that, I can format the other RD53s, and mount them, and maybe
 en>actually use them.

Mailing RD54s may not work, they might get damaged in transit. You may
want to first try some experimenting with the PUTR program. I'm not
sure, but if I understand the documentation right, it is possible to
use it to read and write with a genuine RX50 drive connected to a
PC floppy disc controller. If not, then this suggestion won't work
and we'll all have to go and pester John Wilson until he builds this
option into his program :)

A RX50 is a 300 rpm 80 tracks single sided drive. There are two drives
in it, one reacting to drive select 0, and one reacting to drive select 1.
The interface to the controller is the same as regular floppy drives.

A 720k 3.5i drive is a 300 rpm 80 tracks double sided drive. The PC
version reacts to drive select 1.

Connect one to a PC and tell PUTR it is a RX50. Copy the RX50 install
binaries to 720K floppies and connect the drive to the microvax using
an untwisted cable. Try to boot from DUA2, the second floppy drive.
This might work. I think it will, but unfortunately I still haven't had
the time to test this.

Kees

--

Kees Stravers - Geldrop, The Netherlands - pb0aia at amsat dot org
Sysadmin and DEC PDP/VAX preservationist - http://vaxarchive.ml.org

Net-Tamer V 1.08.1 - Registered