Subject: Re: No way to install NetBSD on uVaxII
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: J.S. Havard <enigma@intop.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/16/1998 20:45:31
John Wilson wrote:
> >A 720k 3.5i drive is a 300 rpm 80 tracks double sided drive. The PC
> >version reacts to drive select 1.
> >
> >Connect one to a PC and tell PUTR it is a RX50. Copy the RX50 install
> >binaries to 720K floppies and connect the drive to the microvax using
> >an untwisted cable. Try to boot from DUA2, the second floppy drive.
> >This might work. I think it will, but unfortunately I still haven't had
> >the time to test this.
>
> Sounds like a good plan...

Hmm... Would a normal 1.44MB drive be able to be used?  I have no
720Ks.  I know 1.44s can read and write 720k disks.  I've done it before
in an old 8088 where the FDC couldn't do 1.44MB floppies, but the 1.44MB
drive worked.

And if somebody would be willing to install on the RD54, well, probably
an RD53 for the base and etc dists, I can ship it UPS in a good
packaging that would protect it from damage.  I have a few RD53s to
spare.  That way I could FTP the rest of the dists and NFS mount
whatever.  You gotta be crazy to mail things that are fragile.  They
kick anything marked "FRAGILE", and drop, throw, stomp, sit on, etc on
everything else.

Regards,
John Havard

--
This message was sponsored in part by John Havard.  Copywrong (c)