Subject: VAX3100 support
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Jesper Frank Nemholt <jfn@dassic.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/13/1998 01:07:11
Hi!

Someone is selling VAX3100s close to where I live and I thought I'd go
buy one (or two or three), but I'd like a bit of advice.

They're all without any OS (OpenVMS), and I don't think there's any
documentation or any other software with them, so I will have to start
from scratch.

I can see on the VAX port homepage that disks aren't supported on the
3100, is this still true ?
It appears that it should be possibly to get them running NetBSD by
booting over network, and that my Linux (RH5.0) should be able to serve
that purpose, is this correct ?

I've seen that a Linux/VAX project exist, but their mail-list server and
the whole project appears rather dead. Anyone here who knows the current
status of that project ?

I've heard that it's possible to get OpenVMS in some sort of a limited
student licence, is this correct ? (I would like to run VMS on one
machine and NetBSD or Linux on the other), but I don't have the money to
go buy VMS.

Would you suggest that I wait for another and better supported VAX
machine to show up, or to put it in another way, is the 3100 a bad
choice (when we're talking low budget stuff that won't fill up my whole
apartment and eat hundreds of kilowatts every hour) ?

l8r/Jspr
--
 Jesper Frank Nemholt      Tel   : +45 75 82 52 56
 Pilevaenget 23 2. MF      Fax   : +45 75 82 52 69

               Seven dead and they blame Marine training.