Subject: Re: RX50 floppies
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/10/1998 14:09:58
< >No 360k floppies do not!  RX50 is 96tpi and 360k are 48tpi.
<
< You're right that 360 KB floppies are not officially rated for 96 TPI,
< but in practice they seem to work fine.  For years the disk companies ha

I'd like to know how you will get a fd55B, MPI502b or any other 360k
floppy to write data on anything other than the 40 possible cylinders
the stepper positions to.

To do 96tpi you need a FD55F or FD55G that can position to any one
of the possible _80_ cylinders possible.

The RX50 only uses one side but there are 80 cylinders.

This does not contradict the idea that 48TPI MEDIA can be read and
possibly written by a 96TPI drive.  The reverse is pretty hard to do
if the head will not position to track 65!

It's exactly the same case as trying read a RL02 in an OLDER RL01 DRIVE.

A 1.2mb drive will read/write excellent RX50 media with the right
software and it will also read/write 1.2mb RX33 as well.

< >Putr with a 1.2mb tricked to single sided 250kbS mode is equivilent to
< >RX50.
<
< No trickery involved, 250/300 kHz mode is fully supported on 1.2 MB driv

The controller I used would not do the right thing.  If I jumpered the
drive oddly it worked fine but only for that mode.  the controller was
supposed to support both 300/360RPM or 250/200kbS, they lied!  It was no
fault of PUTR that I know of but a slighly odd controller.  When PUTR was
used with a different system and controller the disk didn't need the
jumper trick.  In some cases people should be aware of that.

Other that PUTR and a 1.2mb drive is the way to go to make RX33 or RX50
floppies.  Do however watch for funky PC controllers.

Allison