Subject: RE: "a" partition full!
To: 'Rick Copeland' <rickgc@calweb.com>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/03/1998 18:07:38
Rick Copeland wrote:

> Dear Vax List,
>
> I am running NetBSD 1.3 on a uVAX 3600 and my "a" partition
> is reporting
> that it is full!  I have looked aound the file system but
> can't seem to
> find out what file must be contributing to it.  Is there some
> hidden file
> that exists that is filling up?

It is impossible for us to know how you've configured your system, but
the short answer is that there are no hidden files, no.

If the "a" partition is your root partition and you have /var in the
root partition then that is where I'd start looking.

Try 'du -s /var' to see how large /var is. Then try 'du /var' to see the
size of each subdirectory. If you've had a crash recently, the
/var/crash directory can get quite large (provided you have the default
savecore action in /etc/rc.conf). You could also have large logfiles in
/var/log if they're not handled by newsyslog (see /etc/newsyslog.conf
and compare it to the actual logfiles in /var/log).

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2