Subject: Multi-volume backup?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Arno Griffioen <arno@usn.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/03/1998 17:29:28
Des the current tape driver implementation have a prolem with 'end of tape'
situations?

I just got a stack of TK70 tapes for free so I thought it would be a good
idea to backup my 3600. It writes fine (albeit slowly and with a lot
of tape-shuffling), but when it reaches the end of the tape it priduces
a write-error notice in the messages. The writing process (eg. cpio)
never receives this signal and the write() call blocks turning it
effectively into a zombie..

The tape-drive is unusable until I reboot. New tapes, old tapes.. makes
no difference.

The data it _does_ write is all OK, so it seems to be a problem in the
end-of-medium (or write-error) signalling to a process.

Has anyone seen someting similar? Either with a TK70 too, or with
any other tape-drive (TK50, SCSI, etc.)? If so, I'll try do dig
through the code to see if I can adapt/fix the problem. (holidays
are coming :-)

Thanx!

							Bye Arno.

--
Internet Exchange Europe B.V.Fax: +31-70-3630470 | One disk to rule them all,
Lange Voorhout 9             Tel: +31-70-3600379 | One disk to bind them,

 We say Retribution, We say Vengeance is bliss, We say Revolution,
 With a Cast-Iron fist!                  (Megadeth, 'The Disintegrators')