Subject: vax3100 questions
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/31/1998 21:09:29
Hello,

I recently adopted a working vaxstation 3100, and would like to know some
information about it.  The hard drive that came with the computer was a
"RZ23-E" made by digital.  I see the words "3100D" on the drive too. The
drive is a 100MB drive.  I removed this drive from the machine, and popped
it in a scsi case, so I could (try to) modify the files on it by mounting
it on my NetBSD/mac68k machine.  The hard drive seems to have some
mega-stripped down version of BSD on it.  When I turned the power on, the
drive did not spin up.  Do these drives spin up only when needed or
something? It seemed to operate somewhat strangely when it was in the
computer.

Also, I'd like to know how to modify the SCSI ID on these drives.  They
have a bunch of pins around, but I don't have a manual, and would not want
to break the drive.  Can anyone tell me which pins to use?  I see E1 E2 and
E3 jumpers...are those the SCSI ID determining pins?  There are also many
pins (with nothing presently attached) at the end of the drive, opposite
the SCSI interface.

Any and all information is appreciated.

thanks,

  - a