Subject: Re: Booting MV3100m30
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/30/1998 12:00:08
-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel A. Seagraves <DSEAGRAV@toad.xkl.com>
To: asporner@mcs.net <asporner@mcs.net>
Cc: thivars@est.is <thivars@est.is>; port-vax@netbsd.org
<port-vax@netbsd.org>
Date: Thursday, 30 July 1998 6:23

>[Where's Mikey?]
>
>He's tormenting the PUPS mailing list now.
>But his kernel worked...
>(I'm running a 3100 standalong now.)

It's interesting that despite all the flaming he generated, it appears he
was right about a few things that seem to have eluded the group for some
time.
I consider that he is probably a brilliant individual with a lot of
practical experience in a working MicroVAX environment, (something that
seems to have all but disappeared) and probably sees and deals with things
that don't occur outside the environment.  He is also quite young (under 20
I think) so that and his cultural background probably causes some of the
arrogance that appears in his posts.  Bear in mind also that english is not
his native language, and considering Russian grammar is wildly different
(eg. there is no such thing as "the book" or "a book" it's just "book" in
that language) although his use of the correct grammatical structure in
english is quite good, it's not inconceivable that it could make his
statements even more savage than they were intended to be.  Perhaps we
should have been a little more patient and not so quick to take his (in
fairness, sometimes quite snappy) statements quite so deeply to heart, as I
feel it's possible we may have lost a valuable resource.

I'm not a C or Vaxpert, just an interested occasional participant in the
collective effort. (I have some 3100's)

Your comments are (as always) most welcome, but no flames please,  this is
just my (hopefully objective) .02c worth.

Kindest regards

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Marks College