Subject: Re: Setting up a T1 and email
To: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>
From: Sheila //or// Bob (depends on who's writing) <shsrms@erols.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/16/1998 18:05:33
Rick Copeland wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> It's amazing how many people have responded to my initial question!  There
> was some information apparently missing or unclear in the original message
> and that is the computer that NetBSD would run on was the 386 architecture
> not a "386".  In fact the slowest x368 we have here is a 200mhz 686 Cyrex.
> We also will not be using the entire T1 for data, it will be split 50/50
> voice/data(fractional).  The CSU/DSU (Veralink)provides a V.35 port (which
> may be a problem) and this is where we would like to connect our router to.
>  We could of course go buy a Cisco 2501 but the good old uVax 3600 running
> NetBSD 1.3 has worked out so well as an intranet server that we would like
> to try it as a router on the 386 platform.
>
> The demand on the router would not be high, we will be using it mostly for
> email.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick
Rick,
It was a good question, phrased to stimulate all of our imaginations,
let us vent about microsloth, and have a little fun too!
Thanks for posting it!!
V35 converter boxes are available from Black Box, or as options on the
interface for at least older (and probably current) cisco routers.
Have a great one!
bad bob
(still running NetBSD!! and I don't have to take 27 failed attempts to
install it any more!)

--
real address is shsrms at erols dot com
The Herbal Gypsy and the Tinker.