Subject: Re: Vaxstation 3100 support
To: Jerome Tonneson <jerome@m-net.arbornet.org>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/16/1998 00:26:30
>Oh, about the SCSI cable - maybe you could bug... I mean ask nicely :-)
>the people you purchased the system from if they still had the cables, since
>they most likely wouldn't be using them anymore :-)

I got the machine for free in a big pile of junk. Meaning other people
probably took them. :-)
The same cables can be used on other hardware architectures, I think.  I
think I remember seeing a Sparc5 with the same type of SCSI port.

>>Can another monitor be used on this system? The video port on the VAX looks
>>like a mac's video output, except opposite gender.  I have either VGA
>>monitors or mac monitors available to use.
>
>I'm not sure what the signals are on the mac's video connector, but I do
>have the pinout for the VAX's video port:
>1-red, 10-green, 11-blue, 2-shields

What would be the chances of this VAXstation 3100 M38 having color support
on it's built-in video? (if none, which pins should I use for a black and
white monitor?)

What does the M38 in the name mean anyway? I picked up this machine as
opposed to a regular  VAXstation 3100 because I figured it was somehow
"better". Was this a good assumption?

thanks,

  - a