Subject: Re: Setting up a T1 and email
To: None <jsuter@intrastar.net>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/16/1998 00:02:23
> > I would like to know how I could use a 386 netbsd box as a
> > router between the CSU/DSU (from a T1) and the web/email
> > server which is a uVax3600.  Could you post directions?
>
> a 386 (even a DX/40) is WAAAAAAAAAAAY to slow to route a T1.
> Get a 486DX2/66 or something.  I used to drag my 386DX/40 down
> with just a 33.6k modem w/ FreeBSD.

Hm, there's one parameter I've not seen mentioned in this
discussion, and that is what type of interface card could be used
in conjunction with a T1 (or E1) port.  I don't think NetBSD "out
of the box" on any platform supports an interface card which can
take a T1 connection -- specifically I'm not aware of such for
the 386 or VAX.  I vaguely seem to remember ET Inc. makes T1/E1
serial cards for use on 386-architecture machines, but they're
not supported out of the box in NetBSD.

I would just venture to guess that what drags down a 386 with a
33.6k modem is the "interrupt for each incoming byte" thing,
things do not necessarily (in theory) have to be done that way
with a T1 card (?).

Otherwise I will concur with the suggestions of other folks who
said "get a router to do the routing", not only because of the
lack of appropriate hardware support in NetBSD, especially if you
want this *now*.

- H=E5vard