Subject: Re: Setting up a T1 and email
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Paul A Vixie <vixie@vix.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/15/1998 15:42:53
> > a 386 (even a DX/40) is WAAAAAAAAAAAY to slow to route a T1.
> > Get a 486DX2/66 or something.  I used to drag my 386DX/40 down
> > with just a 33.6k modem w/ FreeBSD.

i don't agree.  you can't compare one interrupt per dozen characters
with one interrupt per packet.  i've done a full T1 with a 386/25
using bsd/os and a riscom/N2.  T1 is a lot slower than ethernet; if
your interface hardware is well tuned you can get 5MB/s over ISA easy
(see the adaptec 1542A).  1.5Mb/s is only ~0.2MB/s.  no problem from
bytes, just interrupts and packet header processing.

> Hm, there's one parameter I've not seen mentioned in this
> discussion, and that is what type of interface card could be used
> in conjunction with a T1 (or E1) port.  I don't think NetBSD "out
> of the box" on any platform supports an interface card which can
> take a T1 connection -- specifically I'm not aware of such for
> the 386 or VAX.

on the 386 you're stuck with ISA.  the riscom/N1 or riscom/N2 will work.

on a 486 or other PCI machine you can use the LMC5200, which has a netbsd
driver (i know that because we just wrote it for them under contract, and
they ship it with every board they sell to a netbsd user.)  (lanmedia.com)

on a VAX you've got trouble.  i don't think even the DMV11 is supported
by netbsd, and it really doesn't do reliable HDLC faster than 56K.  so
i'll concede that this combination doesn't play well.