Subject: Re: Setting up a T1 and email
To: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/15/1998 21:52:01
On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Rick Copeland wrote:

> Johnny,
>
> I would like to know how I could use a 386 netbsd box as a router between
> the CSU/DSU (from a T1) and the web/email server which is a uVax3600.
> Could you post directions?

It's not that difficult. You need two interfaces in the 386 box, compile
the kernel, and then you'll just run it. I will guess that routed is a
tool you'll want to use, since it will keep your routing tables up to
date, assuming that the other routers around you are running routed too.
Otherwise you'll have to find out what routing protocol they use, or
alternatively set up the routing tables by hand (probably not that
difficult either, unless you have a complex network).

NetBSD will route packets if you have several interfaces and a correct
routing table. That's all there is to it.

The same is true for all Unix-like systems I've used.

	Johnny