Subject: No nroff??
To: None <PORT-VAX@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/12/1998 20:43:29
Various software that I'm trying to install assumes nroff exists or, at
least, I'll need it to look at the man pages. There does not seem to be
a binary of nroff in the VAX distribution for 1.3.2, so I went looking
around and found groff. The makefile for groff, of course, assumes nroff
exists as it wants to make pre-processed man pages. I can't seem to get
the groff I just built (before the Makefile crapped on pre-processing the
man pages) to run so I can use it to pre-process the man pages (I get
'groff: can't file `DESC' file' and 'groff: fatal error: invalid device
`ps''). The README.gnu in the groff directory suggests that I read the
INSTALL file for installation help. It doesn't exist.

Anyone care to give me a hand, or should I try building groff from one of
the Linux distributions that I have lying about?

Most everything else in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin seems to have a corresponding
binary, so it just seems to be groff that needs to be added to the
distribution.

Roger Ivie
ivie@cc.usu.edu