Subject: Re: Setting up a T1 and email
To: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/10/1998 12:41:50
On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Rick Copeland wrote:
>We have a fractional T1 being set up at our office and I would like to know
>what a good setup to receive and distribute email to 40 user on our network
>would be.  Currently all are receiving email through a Novell network
>running TCP/IP, a redirector software, a modem bank and of course a
>internet service provider.  There is also two Vax 3600's running NetBSD 1.3
>serving Intranet web pages to the desktops.  The desktops are Windows 95
>running Eudora Pro email program.
>
>The T1 will be connected to the internet directly through AT&T(they will
>provide the CSU/DSU) so I believe I will need a DNS server, router and an
>email server (sendmail?). Can all these functions be accomplished with
>NetBSD servers?

  I'd grab a router such as a cisco 2501 or similar.  Aside from that,
everything you'll need can be handled by those NetBSD machines.  If the WinDoze
users are running Eudora, you'll need a POP server...Qpopper can be found at
ftp.qualcomm.com; it runs nicely under NetBSD.  The latest relase of BIND (the
nameserver) can be found at ftp.isc.org.  sendmail 8.9.1 was just released, and
can be found at ftp.cs.berkeley.edu in /ucb/sendmail.

  I run several internet-connected networks on purely NetBSD firepower...I think
you'll find it's an excellent platform for that sort of thing.

                                     -Dave McGuire