Subject: Re: [Newbie question] Hardware support
To: None <Robert.Cross@scottish-newcastle.co.uk>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/09/1998 15:28:45
On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 Robert.Cross@scottish-newcastle.co.uk wrote:

> Hello, apologies to all concerned if this post is either dumb
> questions or in the wrong place....

	I don't know if anyone already answered... (your questions are
	neither :)

> I've managed to inherit a few VAXstation 3100 M76's with 19" color
> head units and TK50 screamer [;)] tape drives. They were used for
> DECwindows, so I guess that they have X-compatible graphics hardware.
> I also have access to Alpha VAX's and proper (Sun/IBM) Unix boxes, in
> case remote booting is required.

	Sounds good - the VAXstation 3100 M76 are probably one of the
	better models to have.

> Q1. What I would like to know is - how much use could I make of these
> boxes as development systems (Perl and other CGIs) and web servers?
> Based on what info I currently have, it looks like the answer is that
> they are effectively useless. ;'-(

	NetBSD/-current has good support for the ethernet (1.3.2 had a
	somewhat shaky lance driver that suffered from timeouts).
	The graphics console is supported for text, and X is in progress
	(the display works, but no input devices are working yet).
	The big thing is no realy SCSI support (1.3.2 had a working
	driver but Ragge is in the process of rewriting the entire VS3100
	support, and SCSI has yet to be done).

	Right now your options are:
	    a) Run 1.3.2 with serial console and shaky ethernet support.
	    b) Run -current diskless, either serial or graphics console.

	Either way you could run them as small webservers.

	When keyboard and mouse support are added, they'll make quite
	passable diskless X-terminals, and with scsi suport they'll be
	reasonable standalone boxes.

	My advice - get 1.3.2 or -current up on one of them to get a
	feel for them, and either way hang onto them until SCSI or
	full X arrives.. unless you want to donate one of them to
	someone in the UK who wants to help with working on the
	support...? :)

> Q2. In the unlikely event that they can be used, could some nice kind
> VAXen point me towards the best place to start? I've done quite a few
> proper Unix installs (AIX, Solaris, IRIX, Ultrix, etc), and one Linux
> - so I'm not a complete novice.

	You'll need to start with netbooting, check out:

	http://world.std.com/~bdc/projects/vaxen/VAX-netboot-HOWTO.html

		David/absolute

                  -=-  and team B will be... Kenny.  -=-